No two families are exactly the same and my research consequently takes a variety of different forms and approaches according to your specific interest and requirements. Maybe you’re adopted and know absolutely nothing about your family history; maybe you have already done extensive research and know all your ancestors right back to the eighteenth century or beyond. Whatever your situation I will talk with you in detail to work out exactly what you would like to find out and so ensure my work is tailored to providing you with the answers you are looking for.
In addition to my biographies and family trees here are some examples of the other ways I might be able to help you:
- Investigate a particular family mystery or brick wall. I will write a report of my findings, detailing exactly what I have searched, what I have found and my resultant conclusions, along with suggestions for further research if appropriate.
- Research at the National Library of Wales. The Library houses an extensive collection of records, including newspapers, property records, wills and parish records. If you can’t visit yourself I can conduct a search on your behalf and take copies or professional photographs of everything I find.
- Research the area in which your family lived, providing you with details of what their street, village or city was like during the time they were there.
- Advise adoptees on how to obtain a copy of their original birth certificate and then help trace their birth family, either back in time to find out about their family history, or forward in time to locate living relatives.
- Order copies of birth, marriage and death certificates from the General Register Office, as well as wills from the District Probate Registry.
- Offer advice and ideas on how to progress your own research. If you have researched your family tree but have reached a bit of a standstill because you’re not sure what to investigate next I can assess your findings and make suggestions of further areas you could explore. If you have any areas in your tree that you are unsure about I can assess your conclusions and help you sort out any particularly tricky individuals.
- Write a professional, narrative biography based on your own research. If you already have lot of the facts but need some help putting it all together I can create an easy-to-read chronological biography of your ancestors which will combine all your hard work and make it easier for you to share your findings with other members of your family. For more information about what this might look like go to the Biographies page.
These are just some ideas – if you have another area you would like help with please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we can talk through your specific requirements.